Department of Paediatrics
We have a team of highly skilled, academically qualified and experienced paediatricians, besides a group of other specialists to deliver top class health care to children. Our medical facilities and specialty care are of international standards, so we are able to translate the emerging technologies into highly advanced therapies in an adept manner.
Paediatrics, deals with the health and well being of newborn, infant, school age, and teens. Our health care in this space includes a range of services like determination of an existing illness, anticipatory guidance, treatment, preventive measures, and so on - depending on the age of the child.
Intensive Care for paediatric department caters to illnesses and injuries, most of which are life-threatening. They need constant, close monitoring and support in terms of specialists, equipments and medication. Intensive Care at Manipal Hospital includes:
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) - The NICU is one of the largest in India, cares for newborn babies who are ill and require intensive monitoring; look after babies who are stabilised and no longer require intensive care, but still require strict monitoring. It caters to high risk neonates, extremely low birth weight babies and all kinds of neonatal surgical problems.
- Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) - Paediatric emergency at Manipal hospital attends to emergency treatments such as coma, shock, cardiac arrest, airway obstruction, infections and seizures (like high BP, fits etc.)
Prenatal diagnosis at Manipal is performed by the following ways :
- Screening procedures aimed at determining the risk factors clouding the childbirth. Examples of this type of procedure include Nuchal translucency and Maternal Serum Alpha - Fetoprotein.
- A series of simple blood tests will be conducted to identify Down's syndrome in the fetus.
- Non-invasive procedures - It includes careful examination of the fetus using various ultrasound techniques including the most popular Doppler ultrasound. Besides this, Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), Echocardiography, and Cardiotocography are also part of the non-invasive tests.
- Invasive diagnosis - It involves Umbilical cord sampling, Amniocentesis, and Chorionic Villous sampling.
Baby health care
Our baby well care services encompass careful monitoring and screening of the growth and screening for predetermined abnormalities, behavioural training, and nutritional advice.
General Paediatrics provides primary paediatric care services for children. It provides enhanced high quality health care services to all children. The department is committed to providing innovation and excellence in child health care, through services like:
- Care of child during illness
- Recognition and management of emergencies
- Regular health checkups
- Immunisation services
- Preventive health care
- Breast feeding counselling
- Play therapy